[xmonad] XPrompt.Shell feature requests

Spencer Janssen sjanssen at cse.unl.edu
Thu Feb 14 06:22:15 EST 2008

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 03:54:51PM -1000, lithis wrote:
> There are a couple things that annoy me about XPrompt.Shell:
>
> 1. When tab-completing a directory name, a trailing slash is
> not automatically appended. Thus an additional keystroke is
> required, unlike any other tab completion system I’m familiar
> with (mostly those in bash and Vim).

Seems like a nice idea, dunno the best way to tackle it.

> 2. Filenames in the pop-up tab-completion list are escaped.
> This makes the names harder to read. Could the unescaped
> filenames appear in the list and then be escaped after tab
> is pressed as the string is copied into the prompt line?

I'd vote against this.  Consider a situation where files "foo", "bar" and
"foo bar" exist.  Then there are two commands that appear as "touch foo bar" on
screen, but will execute different things depending on whether the user used
tab completion.  Furthermore, I think it is pretty standard to display the
escapes in this fashion (it is what bash and zsh do, at least).

Cheers,
Spencer Janssen