[xmonad] darcs patch: Add windowRemover for make tabbed return just the focu...

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Mon Feb 4 13:02:33 EST 2008

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 01:43:57PM +0100, Andrea Rossato wrote:
> -- We drop any windows that are *precisely* stacked underneath
> -- another window: these must be intended to be tabbed!
>
> I may have the feeling you did not get precisely Decoration's task and
> the TabbedDecoration style. I may just be wrong (in which case this is
> just the obvious for you), but a tabbed decoration is *not* a tabbed
> layout, and a tabbed decoration may be (and can be) applied to a
> Circle layout or to any tiled layout, just to have a place where you
> can see the names of all windows. That was a feature requested, that
> Decoration makes possible.
>
> Moreover Decoration is also used to decorate with the DwmStyle or the
> SimpleDecoration style (I'm using this with my sipmeFloat layout,
> which is actually my default layout, now).
>
> Decoration is just an abstraction layer over xlib calls to create,
> hide, and remove windows. The creation, hiding and distraction is, how
> can I say, type controlled.

I understand that there are different decoration styles, but I also think
it's reasonable to remove windows that are not viewable from the display
stack.  This won't have any effect on layouts like Circle that don't stack
windows on top of each other, and in fact I can't see a scenario where
you'd want different behavior.
--
David Roundy
Department of Physics