[xmonad] Re: Dropped patches

Justin Bogner mail at justinbogner.com
Sat Aug 30 02:55:16 EDT 2008

Spencer Janssen <spencerjanssen at gmail.com>
writes:

> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 03:09:05PM -0600, Justin Bogner wrote:
>> Several people seemed interested in this on IRC, but nobody commented on
>> it on the mailing list. It works for my use cases, but I was hoping
>> others would comment on whether it could be better in any way.
>
> I remember having comments for this patch, but I must have forgotten to send an
> email.  This patch addresses an important problem, but I think it goes about it
> in the wrong way.  There are two sorts of struts programs that we typically
> use:
>  * override-redirect bars like dzen and xmobar.  ICCCM says that we shouldn't
>    manage these windows at all, so lowering them is technically a violation of
>    the ICCCM.  Instead, these windows should lower themselves on startup.

The patch as it is didn't really take dzen and xmobar into account (I
assumed they were the same as desktop bars)

>  * desktop bars such as kicker and gnome-panel.  We are allowed to manage
>    these, and they even set atoms on their window we can use to stack them.  In
>    manageDocks, when a window is detected as a DOCK or DESKTOP window, we
>    should send all DESKTOP windows to the bottom of the stacking order and all
>    DOCK windows to one layer above that.

I'm not convinced one layer above that is the right thing, though the
only indication of the behaviour i thought was the standard is in the
statement "Possible examples of behavior include keeping dock/panels on
top", which is in the EWMH spec for _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE.

That said, the behaviour I expect is that docks should be at the very
top or not visible at all, and never anything in between.

Nonetheless, I'm not convinced this patch is perfect, and so prefer it
not applied. I would appreciate more discussion on the issue, so that we
can write a more satisfactory version.