[xmonad] Minimise windows?

Jesús Guerrero i92guboj at terra.es
Fri Aug 15 07:58:12 EDT 2008

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:57:30 +0100
"Magnus Therning" <magnus at therning.org> wrote:

> Is there a way of minimising windows in Xmonad?
>
> I've found several times that I really miss minimising of windows.
> Right now e.g. I have a screen with VirtualBox (its control window and
> a window for a single VM) and I want to stick a browser next to the VM
> to follow some instructions on a web page.  What I've ended up doing
> so far is moving the control window to a "scratch screen" so that the
> screen is divided evenly between the VM and the browser.  However,
> once I'm done I'll move the browser back to the "web screen" and I'll
> have to move the control window back again from the "scratch screen".
>
> Are others bumping into this use case?  How are you dealing with it?

By using layouts. You can have a different layout into each virtual desktop
(or whatever they are called on xmonad). You can as well change the current
layout (by default with modMask+spacer.

When I need to see two programs on a given virtual desktop I mostly use the
Tall layout or a similar one, when I need to expose one fullscreen and hide
the other window, I just change to  Full layout, and use modMask+tab to
alternate from one window to another.

Minimisation is a concept that doesn't fit very well on the whole paradigm
of a tiling window manager, in my humble opinion. I suppose that it could
be achievable by using layouts however, but I don't see how that would be
any different from using the Full vs. Tall layouts that I explained.

Cheers :)
--
Jesús Guerrero <i92guboj at terra.es>