[Xmonad] [SPAM] Response to #55

Isaac Dupree isaacdupree at charter.net
Fri Oct 12 09:12:42 EDT 2007

Eric Mertens wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I don't know if anyone else feels the same way about sandboxing
> "user-code," but I think that sprinkling catch all over any code that
> calls XMonadContrib code is a complete abuse of the catch mechanism. In
> my opinion the only exceptions that xmonad should be trying to catch
> are those that are truly exceptional errors as thrown by, for example,
> X11. Ignoring bad contrib code errors and pretending like they don't
> exists seems completely counter to xmonad's goal of being solid, tested
> code.
>
> In summary, I feel that there is a difference between not having errors
> and ignoring them. Xmonad is still in active development and bad code
> should be as visible as possible.

okay, change those catches to a particular interceptContribError, that
creates a window saying something like "XMonadContrib has an error:"
"please report it to: "or fix it" (and logs a message to stderr).  That
seems a bit distant from ignoring errors... and interceptContribError
could be changed to be fatal to xmonad, I suppose... (perhaps this was
already discussed on IRC, since I wasn't there)

Isaac