[xmonad] darcs patch: XMonad.Config.CustomKeys - new module

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Tue Nov 13 16:20:24 EST 2007

On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 11:09:07PM +0200, Valery V. Vorotyntsev wrote:
> On 11/12/07, Devin Mullins <me at twifkak.com> wrote:
> > I'm also interested in the one true namespace -- his is in XMonad.Config
> > and mine is in XMonad.Util.
>
> Config.CustomXXX seems more intuitive... I would look in Config/
> directory for such kind of functionality.
>
> Moreover, I wonder, why gather personal configs in code base? Is not
> wiki-based Config Archive good enough?

It's my idea.  It serves a couple functions.  It provides a crude
(automatically tested, plut really tested in real life) documentation as to
how to use various bits of config.  This latter feature isn't an ideal form
of documentation, but at least it is guaranteed to always be in sync with
whatever version of xmonad-contrib you've got.  Some of us (mostly me)
don't have time to write good documentation (actually, I don't have time to
write as much xmonad code as I do), so this provides the hints needed for
someone else to use.  And hopefully some of these configs will actually be
useful to users who want the same or a similar config.  By attaching
personal names to the configs, we give the named person the freedom to make
the configuration useful at least to himself or herself, which means that
every config there is useful for at least one person, which is more than we
can say for the default configuration.
--
David Roundy
Department of Physics