[Xmonad] darcs patch: move Spiral to LayoutHelpers. (and 4 more)

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Wed Jun 27 10:06:27 EDT 2007

droundy:
> On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 11:03:58PM +1000, Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:
> > droundy:
> > > A resend for dons.  Conflicts with two recently accepted patches, but I
> > > don't see that as my fault.  If you accept patches that implement wrong
> > > fixes for code written my myself that I've properly fixed, then you can
> > > deal with the conflicts.
> >
> > Thanks David. You can avoid this situatoin by dropping by #xmonad on irc
> > to discuss changes, before sending off mountains of code. Its very hard
> > to review things that haven't been discussed beforehand, which means
> > delays and hold ups, as we sort though the new code. As I say, we like
> > to be cautious.
>
> The trouble is that I have very little time for xmonad stuff.  And I
> generally find that code itself is the best way of expressing an idea as to
> how to do something.
>
> My main objection is not that it took you a while to review the code, but
> that you applied changes to modules in XMonadContrib for which I am
> nominally the maintainer without even giving me a chance to comment on said
> changes, and this after I'd already sent in a fix for the very same
> issues.  It makes sense to apply bugfixes quickly, but not when there's a
> fix for the very same code by its maintainer waiting for review.

Yes, I agree that's the problem. Code is coming in from 2 or 3 people
simultaneously touching the same file, so if a large patch is waiting,
the easy patches get applied first -- that was the mistake here.

In future, we'll have to resolve in favour of the large/maintainer
patches first, before proceeding with smaller patches that can conflict
with the large ones.

And I think it might also be a good idea to claim stronger ownership for
contrib modules, so David becomes the go-to guy, if you want to touch,
say, Tabbed.hs.

Anyway, I've applied your changes to the doLayout stuff, and recommend
checking the merge of Tabbed.hs.

-- Don