[xmonad] New debian packages, including xmonad-contrib

Joachim Breitner nomeata at debian.org
Thu Dec 27 11:40:58 EST 2007

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 27.12.2007, 11:23 -0500 schrieb Jevin Maltais:
> On Dec 27, 2007 7:12 AM, Joachim Breitner <nomeata at debian.org> wrote:
>
> > no need, the X11 packages are there as well.
>
> Where do you mean?  I don't see them in
> http://people.debian.org/~nomeata/xmonad/

How very true, but in fact I wanted them to be there. Fixed :-)

> > I'd rather distribute the packages via the official repository, but if
> > there is demand, we could make that directory apt-get'able.
>
> While I agree with you about putting xmonad in the official ubuntu
> repo, new versions of xmonad are (have been) coming out on a monthly
> basis.  Users (i.e me!) don't want to wait 6 months to get a new
> version.  An alternative would be to attempt to have the packages
> offered as a backport.  Info here:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports

Building packages for specific releases of Ubuntu (instead of just the
current developing version which I think regularly merge updates from
Debian) is no problem, but it would require someone running that release
to do that. If someone feels responsible for that, I’d be happy to host
these packages in a repository under above address. Actually building
these packages is not hard, see below:

> About the package itself:  dpkg is telling me I need libc6 v2.7-1.  I
> have 2.6.1.  When I compiled xmonad from source on my other machine
> which had libc6 2.6.1, xmonad ran fine.  My question then is does it
> really require 2.7-1?

Well, it is compiled against 2.7-1 on debian because that’s the current
version of libc6. I’m not sure it’s wise to use the package on an
installation with a different version of libc6. But you an easily
re-create the package:

For example, the xmonad package:
dget -x http://people.debian.org/~nomeata/xmonad/xmonad_0.5-0.nomeata2.dsc
cd xmonad-0.5
dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc
cd ..
dpkg -i xmonad_0.5-0.nomeata2_i386.deb

(You need the devscripts and dpkg-dev packages for that)

I hope that gets you started, but feel free to ask for more information.

Greetings,
Joachim
--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner