[xmonad] Defining Layouts

Thomas Adam thomas.adam22 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 09:05:12 EST 2007

Hello all,

Maybe this is already possible through some combination of existing
extensions, I'm not sure so I thought I would ask anyway.

I'm not using anything fancy at the moment, just the usual layouts
defined like this:

 , layoutHook = configurableNavigation (navigateColor "#00aa00") $
                         toggleLayouts (noBorders Full) $
                         (smartBorders (tiled ||| Mirror tiled ||| Full))

Sometimes, when I am working in tiled mode, I might have a layout such as this:

+------------+-------------+
| window A |                 |
+------------+Window D|
| window B |                 |
+------------+-------------+
| window C |Window E |
+------------+-------------+

Where windows A,B and C are in the master pane.   Is it possible to
make window D in this example fill the entire right hand side (to
effectively "cover" window E) and then to toggle it back afterwards?
There are times where there might be many more windows in the
non-master pane and having one window fill the entire space would be
useful.

Indeed, the same principle would apply if the above was in the Mirror
tiled layout.

I know I could use Mirror{Expand,Shrink} to resize windows, but that's
not quite what I want, and it certainly wouldn't restore the window's
size afterwards.

Many thanks,

Thomas Adam