[web-devel] [Yesod] ANN: Wai routes 0.7

Anupam Jain ajnsit at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 18:09:32 UTC 2015

Ah great question! One that I keep revisiting in my mind every time I
think of adding something to wai-routes. Short answer - No. Long
answer follows.

Wai-routes' stated goal is to "provide a similar level of typesafe URL
functionality to Wai applications as is available to Yesod
applications". The feature list may make it seem like a larger
framework, but it's really all just features provided by the routing
code from yesod! Writing plain wai apps is tough though, so wai-routes
provides a thin veneer over some of the rough edges, just enough to
make it pleasant.

Sometimes the simplicity of wai-routes makes it easier to use than
Yesod. For example, it is really easy to have multiple independent
route sets that match one after the other, so you can better logically
group your app, instead of putting all routes in one big file. You can
also apply different middleware to the different route sets. I'm
currently not aware of any way to do that in Yesod.

The de-coupling from wai also insulates the user from changes to the
wai api. So the same wai-routes code continued to work when Wai-3.0
changed to a CPS style. ...Though that leaves the user vulnerable to
changes in the wai-routes api... which happens quite more often... So,
forget I said that! :)

-- Anupam