[web-devel] [Yesod] psuedo-announcement: yesod-goodies

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Sun Jul 17 16:36:27 CEST 2011

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 5:33 PM, Patrick Brisbin <pbrisbin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/16/11 at 11:12pm, Greg Weber wrote:
>> I like these helpers! I am wondering if they can be organized a bit
>> better For the helpers that aren't specific to yesod (Shorten, Time,
>> Gravatar, Search) could that be move to a web-goodies or web-helpers module
>> so it is clear for non-Yesod users that they can use them and that there
>> isn't a yesod dependency?
>>

> You're absolutely right. Search isn't even /web/-specific, let alone
> yesod-specific. It would be good to have a few different packages with
> only the deps each needs.
>
> Not sure when I'll get the time to do any major restructuring, but I
> have no qualms leaving it up to someone else to take care of via pull
> request (if they're so inclined).
>
>> I am also wondering if it is best to remove the Goodies namespace? But for
>> something like Time it might be named something like Display.Time (maybe
>> there is a better convention on hackage already).
>
> I think I had that because I have some pages where I use almost all of
> these and it was nice to just `import Yesod.Goodies`. I'm open to
> letting it go though; I see Michael took the "Helpers" namespace out of
> at least one yesod package recently -- maybe that's a trend to follow.

I have no opinion on presence or absence of Goodies for the moment,
but Helpers is targeted for complete removal. I only had it in earlier
Yesod versions where everything was in a single package to make it
clear what was "core" and what was "extra". That's no longer
necessary, and frankly, I always forget whether it's "Helpers" or
"Helper" ;)