[web-devel] Hoogle Advice

Bardur Arantsson spam at scientician.net
Tue Jan 25 22:22:37 CET 2011

On 2011-01-25 21:53, Jeremy Shaw wrote:

> On Jan 25, 2011, at 1:18 PM, Bardur Arantsson wrote:
>
>> On 2011-01-25 18:35, Jeremy Shaw wrote:
[--snip--]

> SendFile should not leak file handles. I have run millions of sendfile
> requests through happstack (in darcs) with no signs of FD/thread leakage.

You're using a well-behaved TCP/HTTP client. The PS/3 isn't that
well-behaved -- it cuts connections IMMEDIATELY (no TCP shutdown or
anything of that nature) once it's decided that it doesn't need the
connection any more. Under those circumstances I believe that the
sendfile library still leaks threads for an essentially arbitrary amount
of time.

If you recall, there was a huge thread on -cafe on this back in Feb. of
2010. This was 100% reproducible with a PS3 client, and I haven't seen
any evidence that the thread leak has been addressed.

Anyway, didn't want to hijack this thread. I'll go back to lurking now :).