[web-devel] What frameworks are there?

Kyle Murphy orclev at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 13:46:22 EDT 2010

I'm looking at experimenting with developing a site and due to various
constraints I'm considering using one of the haskell frameworks. I
experimented a bit with Happstack, although I'm not all that happy with it
and I'm interested in alternatives. I've also looked briefly at yesod but it
doesn't seem to be very well documented and I've got some concerns. The
environment I'm working in has constrained memory, about 300M physical, with
a further 500M of swap, but a relatively beefy CPU, so I'm trying to stay
away from any of the in memory systems like MACID in happstack. At this
point I'm mostly toying with the different frameworks to try to get a feel
for them, but in a couple months I'm probably going to need to actually put
together a production system that can handle some fairly low duty
e-commerce. I'm planning on using Google Checkout for order processing, but
aside from that and the memory constraints I don't have any real hard rules
for what the framework needs to support. I'm currently running nginx to
serve static content on the server, so I could potentially integrate with
that, or I could just have whichever framework I end up using serve the
static content as well.

So, my requirements are as follows:
1) Small memory footprint
2) Relatively simple to extend such that I can integrate it with Google
Checkout
3) Documented well enough that I can figure out how to plumb everything
together without needing to dig through the guts of the framework
4) Relatively stable such that a year from now I don't need to re-write the
entire site because the framework isn't maintained an no longer works on the
current version of GHC.

Any suggestions?

P.S. I'm interested in the quasi-quote package I saw mentioned here
recently, but it looks more suited for use by framework developers rather
than as a finished component, at least from the limited info I've found.

-R. Kyle Murphy
--
Curiosity was framed, Ignorance killed the cat.