[web-devel] Re: Where do you start?

John MacFarlane jgm at berkeley.edu
Thu Nov 20 11:47:42 EST 2008

>    Then I turned to HAppS, which is painfully slow to build on my development
>    machine, and I think it is too monolithic. Besides, it looks like it
>    depends on mostly experimental GHC features, and lacks documentation! I'm
>    not a Haskell Jedi, so I think there's no way I can make it to work.

HAppS is frustrating at first, and the lack of documentation
is maddening, but it's pretty nice once you start to get the
hang of it. You might look at my wiki program as an example:
http://github.com/jgm/gitit/tree/master/ True, HAppS is monolithic in
the sense that it provides server, state, etc. in an integrated package,
but you don't have to use everything. You could just use the server, for
example. (In my own app, I only use state for users and sessions. The
wiki's contents are all stored in a git repository, but you could just
as easily use a database.)

As for the build speed:  if you comment out the bits that include the
Facebook module, it will build much faster.  I'm hoping the HAppS
developers will eventually bundle the Facebook code separately from
HAppS-Server.

Did you mention Kibro?  That's another fastcgi based framework.

John