[Timber] 64 bit?

Johan Nordlander johan.nordlander at ltu.se
Sun May 24 10:54:02 EDT 2009

Some experiments have been made (although no code were checked in),
and they mostly involved fixing rts.h.  The underlying problem is,
though, that there's a risk parts of the code silently assume that an
Int is of the same size as a polymorphic parameter (that is, the size
of a pointer).  And ideally we would like to keep the Int size at 32
bits in order to preserve platform independence, and introduce an
Int64 type for those cases this size is needed.

So it's essentially a matter of searching the source code for any such
size dependencies, and perhaps also extended it with Int types of
other common sizes.  I can't foresee any deep technical difficulies,
it's just tedious work.

You're welcome to give it a try!

-- Johan