[Timber] darcs push

Johan Nordlander nordland at csee.ltu.se
Tue Jan 9 16:06:00 EST 2007

> I had a look around at this:
>
> [[From the manual: Couldn't get lock .../lock
>
> This means that darcs tried to access a repository that is locked,
> i.e. marked as being currently accessed by a different copy of darcs.
> If you are confident the repo shouldn't be locked (there's no other
> copy of darcs running), you can unlock it manually by deleting the
> lock file _darcs/lock. Then, run darcs check. ]]
>
> But that seems to be what you did.
>
> I tried removing the lock file myself, and pushing and it works
> now, and there is no lock file. Can you try again?
>
> Perhaps your local repo has problems? Try a repair?
>
> Also, you could try create a new repo copy of the
> darcs.haskell.org, then push your changes to the new repo, then
> push them back to darcs.haskell.org.
> This is one thing I like about darcs; every repo is equal.
>
> Andy

I finally managed to make some progress, after having downloaded a
fresh repo from darcs.haskell.org and manually applied my (loclly
recorded) changes to that one.  All attempts to both push and pull
between my two local repos failed in the same way as before (darcs
hanging).  In fact, hanging is probablty the wrong term here, since
some OS spying reveals that darcs is spending about 99% of its time
in user mode, making millions of system calls along the way!
Interestingly, it seems like this odd behavior isn't entirely
unknown, see

    http://darcs.net/DarcsWiki/
BestPractices#head-216b2d1f55707f275ee759a74a3800dc0983e53b

I decided to see if I could wait it out, but I gave up after one
hour.  Powerful as darcs is, there is obviously room for improvement :-)

Anyway, my new repo has been successfully pushed to
darcs.haskell.org.  One patch is a big one, though, consisting of two
previous ones plus my previously unrecorded changes (this was the
best I could do :-().  Hopwfully everything will work smoother from
now on...

I'll be pushing some more patches tomorrow.

-- Johan