[Template-haskell] Epigram and Grammatical Framework was Re: Types as first-class values

Shae Matijs Erisson shae at ScannedInAvian.com
Tue May 24 03:40:15 EDT 2005

Vivian McPhail <vivian.mcphail at paradise.net.nz> writes:

> I have a NL system which uses a lexicon of words annotated with types and
> semantics.  The grammer uses the type information to correctly structure the
> semantic nodes.  The grammer uses simple combinators to manipulate the
> semantics, thus I have implemented my system as an untyped lambda calculus
> extended with a single data type.

I don't know if this helps any but...

Epigram allows first class types - http://www.dur.ac.uk/CARG/epigram/
Types and functions are nearly the same thing in Epigram.

GF (Grammatical Framework) by Aarne Ranta and Markus Forsberg implements
typed natural language parsing. http://www.cs.chalmers.se/~aarne/GF/

GF has a large number of nifty features.
For example, GF includes morphology and translation quiz commands,
so I hacked up a simple WASH plus GF web app to help me learn Swedish.
--
It seems I've been living two lives. One life is a self-employed web developer
In the other life, I'm shapr, functional programmer.  | www.ScannedInAvian.com