[Template-haskell] TH stability and support

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Nov 17 09:30:03 EST 2003

The broad outlines of TH are stable, but there are likely to be changes.
For example, the details of the data type representing Haskell terms
might change.  But I don't think anything significant will disappear --
new stuff may well appear.

Yes, we do plan to support TH in GHC for the foreseeable future.

As to other implementations, remember the economics of compilers.  All
Haskell implementations are built and maintained by volunteers.  Within
the effort budget we can individually afford, we each adjust our
priorities based in part on what our users want.  If lots and lots of
people start using TH and ask for it in (say) Hugs, that'll make it more
likely that it'll get done.  But it's not a small feature to add, so I
wouldn't plan on it any time soon.

Simon