[reactive] join/mappend bug and unamb

Luke Palmer lrpalmer at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 03:04:09 EST 2008

2008/12/27 Conal Elliott <conal at conal.net>

> Luke Palmer has some encouraging early results with a custom scheduler that
> implements unamb.  I don't know how it deals with termination of redundant
> computation and whether it falls afoul of the problems I'm having with the
> various race implementations floating around.  I also don't know how much of
> the problem that Luke is solving comes simply from the failure of my race
> implementation to kill threads recursively.

Getting recursive killing right is the thing unamb-custom is trying to
solve.  I haven't looked at it since some strange bugs arose in the compiled
version, but I fear that the black hole problem you just posted applies.
 Since it is still at its essence forkIO and killThread, I'm not sure how to
get around it.

I would really like a more customizable scheduler.  I think this is the part
where I either dive into ghc guts or abandon topology-extras :-(

Luke