[reactive] event merge problem?

Conal Elliott conal at conal.net
Tue Dec 16 17:51:11 EST 2008

Time in Reactive has some structure.

    type Time t = Max (AddBounds t)

Max adds a max-based Monoid instance.  It's a newtype and so doesn't add any
laziness/partiality.  AddBounds, however, is a data type:

    data AddBounds a = MinBound | NoBound a | MaxBound

Typically, the type parameter t in 'Time t' is bound to 'Improving Double',
which adds yet more partiality to times.

External inputs are represented by events whose occurrence times are wrapped
with NoBound.  The various matches against MaxBound then ought to fail
immediately, without any examination of the improving double inside the
NoBound.

That's my intention, anyway.  There may be a bug somewhere that thwarts this
trick.

I don't yet have a concrete example of the merge bug that Bob mentioned.
Once I have one, I'll see what I can learn about it.

  - Conal