[reactive] Re: Re: Link to Tetris

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Tue Dec 16 05:50:54 EST 2008

>> Seems to be partially timer- and partially event-merge-related:
>> if I compile with -threaded, the pieces do not move at all on their
>> own, but as long as I keep pressing "down", the game appears
>> playable as intended; if I compile without -threaded, the pieces
>> move occasionally, but the effects of keyboard input are entirely
>> unpredictable.
>
> I've noticed this behavior in since the last couple of days, So at a  guess a bug got introduced
> somewhere along the line.  The merge issue  is known -- at the moment, an occurrence doesn't
> appear in the output  until it's known whether or not the other event ever occurs, which  isn't
> ideal.  Unfortunately, the obvious fix for the issue creates a  large memory leak, I've been
> playing with a few ways to fix this.

Thanks for the info, Tom,

where can I find more details about this merge issue? Given that
FRPLs are traditionally synchronously concurrent languages, this
is rather surprising: when sampling anything, one knows about
everything's values _now_, which should be sufficient for merge,
no matter whether the other event might or might not happen later.

Claus