[nhc-users] Debugger related

Arunkumar S Jadhav arunk at it.iitb.ac.in
Wed May 11 02:43:48 EDT 2005

Hello All,

I know that this is unrelated mailing list, but still, since it had to
do with mutator.c wanted to get a doubt cleared here.

Suppose I compile mutator.c (or any other C file for that matter) with
debugging option on (-ggdb3) and get an object file as output.
Now I want to view the assembly file produced corresponding to it,
but I also want to see the correspondence between C statements
and i386 instructions. So I run "objdump" command with appropriate
switches on and I get the desired file.

Now my doubt: Will the debugger option (-ggdb3) cause the compiler
to emit any i386 instructions that wouldn't have been emitted otherwise.
In otherwords, does gcc compiler "insert" extra machine (i386 in my case)
instructions for the purpose of debugging ? As far as I understand the
compiler design, at the level of machine code, it shouldn't make any
difference whether I compile a file with debugger option on. Please share
your opinion / knowledge regarding this.

Regards,
Arunkumar S Jadhav, Masters Student,
KReSIT, IIT-Bombay, India
Ph: +91-22-25764967