[nhc-users] failure to compile on mips-sgi6.5

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Mon Dec 15 11:44:37 EST 2003

"William S." <wstan at xs4all.nl> writes:

> Here is the latest:
>
> ld32: WARNING 84 : /usr/people/wstan/nhc98-1.16/lib/mips-IRIX6/Runtime.a
>      is not used for resolving any symbol.

These warnings are harmless, and can safely be ignored.

> /usr/people/wstan/nhc98-1.16/script/nhc98 -cpp -c +CTS -lib  -redefine -CTS
>      +RTS -H32M -RTS -o
>      /usr/people/wstan/nhc98-1.16/targets/mips-IRIX6/obj/prelude/DErrNo/DErrNo.o
>      DErrNo.hs
> What, run() returned!
> What, run() returned!
> What, run() returned!

This is the first test-use of the freshly-built nhc98 compiler,
and clearly indicates that it does not work.  I suspect it is a
similar problem to one already reported several times, whereby the
build fails at the same point with a segmentation fault, rather than
an error message.  We do not yet know the exact cause, or a fix,
although we think it is probably something to do with changes in the
gcc-3.x series compiler that break various assumptions made by the
nhc98 code generator.

Sorry that the build did not work out for you.  I think probably the
only currently-maintained Haskell system that you will be able to
install on your machine is Hugs.  (The last version of ghc that was
distributed for mips-sgi-irix6 was 2.10, which is now 6 years old.)

Regards,
    Malcolm