[nhc-users] Problems Compiling

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace@cs.york.ac.uk
Thu, 21 Aug 2003 14:08:59 +0100

James Mills <prologic@daisy.ods.org> writes:

> In file included from longlong.h:75,
>                  from mpz_div.c:25:
> asmlong.h:3:12: missing terminating " character
> asmlong.h:7:40: missing terminating " character
> .... etc

I would guess that your machine probably has a very recent gcc compiler
version >= 3.3 maybe?  I believe the latest versions have significantly
changed the behaviour of the cpp pre-processor, such that string
constants in cpp macros are no longer permitted to contain literal
newline characters.  It is likely that all of the error messages you
see are a consequence, direct or indirect, of this change.

I'm not yet sure what the best fix would be.  I will look into it,
but in the meantime, if you have the opportunity to use an older
version of gcc (3.2 or earlier), try that instead.

Regards,
    Malcolm