Proposal: Rename HashMap.lookupDefault to HashMap.findWithDefault

Matt Renaud matt at m-renaud.com
Sat Jan 5 20:50:00 UTC 2019

Reviving this thread since we didn't reach a definitive conclusion (and its
been about a year!).

It appears that the PVP issue about the deprecation has not yet been
resolved, so there still isn't any clarification on if this would require a
major version bump or not. From re-reading the thread it appears the
largest (only?) concerns are around how to properly deprecate it without
breaking anyone's code that is compiled with -Werror.

As a partial solution, I propose that we add the new
HashMap.findWithDefault function (which brings the APIs between Map and
HashMap closer together), and keep the existing function
(HashMap.lookupDefault) but update the function comment to say that it is
deprecated and point to findWithDefault. Are there any objections? We
should eventually officially mark this function as deprecated but I don't
think we should block the addition of the alias in the meantime because
there's not currently consensus on how it should happen, I'd like to move
that to a separate discussion.

Thanks!