Data.List.maximumBy uses counter-intuitive ordering

Carter Schonwald carter.schonwald at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 15:40:35 UTC 2019

Does the inclusion of semi groups in base give another option? ?  There’s
perfectly nice left and right biased min and max semigroups. Though I think
we only provide one flavor each for min and max.

Either it is useful to document the behavior as an artifact of current
implementation but not commit to the exact same semantic in future versions
so as not to preclude future innovations ?

One fuzzy thought: it almost seems like there’s two semigroup structures in
play here: the aggregation / aka min or max in this case, plus implicitly a
second structure that provides the tie breaking structure in the case of
equality , which is usually a left or right bias, but could be some other
mechanism.  Is there a useful notion of a semigroup transformer or the
like?