Floats, the true ieee next generation Re: Add Ord Laws to next Haskell Report

Vanessa McHale vanessa.mchale at iohk.io
Fri Feb 8 20:53:00 UTC 2019

Wouldn't both versions throw an exception in that case? Am I missing
something?

On 2/8/19 2:26 PM, David Feuer wrote:
> Yes, but a ring is sufficient for lots of very basic and important
> manipulations. When I'm writing code with Int and Word, I don't even
> think about whether the associative and distributive laws apply--I
> just use them to simplify my definitions. With trapping overflow, I
> need to watch for ranges every time I apply one. Horrible!
>
> On Fri, Feb 8, 2019, 3:05 PM Carter Schonwald
> <carter.schonwald at gmail.com <mailto:carter.schonwald at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     I think the algebraic property we usually want for nice integer
>     ish things is intergral domain. Which is a stronger property than
>     ring. Pardon the confusion
>
>     On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 3:03 PM Carter Schonwald
>     <carter.schonwald at gmail.com <mailto:carter.schonwald at gmail.com>>
>     wrote:
>
>         No.  A ring can’t have 2x=0 for x not zero.  Thus int can’t  be
>
>         And by ring I mean an algebraic structure where you have a
>         multiplicative group that doesn’t generate zero from products
>         of nonzero elements ...
>
>         Phrased differently: Int doesn’t have a multiplicative group
>         structure on the nonzero elements. That makes it a pretty
>         nasty ring. Negate on minBound should be an overflow exception
>         so you can have actual sane semantics.  This is an old dead
>         horse with lots of blood written about it.
>
>         https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/8695 has some related
>         discussions
>

>         On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 2:53 PM Jens Blanck
>         <jens.blanck at gmail.com <mailto:jens.blanck at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>             > minBound + minBound :: Int
>             0
>             > negate minBound == (minBound :: Int)
>             True
>             > 42 + negate 17 :: Word
>             25
>
>             Int and Word are currently rings. What proportion actually
>             uses them as such would be interesting to know but I guess
>             it is very small. I wouldn't dare to reason about Int and
>             Word as rings as there is no guarantee on which ring they
>             are. Int64 and Word64 and so on; yes, those can be
>             reasoned about.
>
>             I'd be very happy to see a separate type for signalling
>             integral types. Personally, I'd make them the default choice.
>
>             On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 at 19:27, Carter Schonwald
>             <carter.schonwald at gmail.com
>             <mailto:carter.schonwald at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>                 I’m not sure if they currently have full ring
>                 structure , but  I do agree that trapping and non
>                 trapping int and word are useful.
>
>                 Simple example where all the finite signed ints work
>                 wrong today :
>
>                 There’s no proper additive inverse for minBound :: int
>
>                 Likewise , what’s our current definition of negate on
>                 finite word types?
>
>                 On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 2:12 PM David Feuer
>                 <david.feuer at gmail.com <mailto:david.feuer at gmail.com>>
>                 wrote:
>
>                     No, no, no. Int and Word are *rings*, which let's
>                     us apply a ton of mathematical reasoning to their
> [...]

*Vanessa McHale*
Functional Compiler Engineer | Chicago, IL

Website: www.iohk.io <http://iohk.io>
Twitter: @vamchale
PGP Key ID: 4209B7B5

Input Output <http://iohk.io>

Twitter <https://twitter.com/InputOutputHK> Github
<https://github.com/input-output-hk> LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/input-output-global>

This e-mail and any file transmitted with it are confidential and
intended solely for the use of the recipient(s) to whom it is addressed.
Dissemination, distribution, and/or copying of the transmission by
anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited. If you have
received this transmission in error please notify IOHK immediately and
delete it from your system. E-mail transmissions cannot be guaranteed to
be secure or error free. We do not accept liability for any loss,
damage, or error arising from this transmission