Whither split base?

Andrew Martin andrew.thaddeus at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 12:04:59 UTC 2018

Here's an idea for this I had last night. It's narrowly scoped, but I think
it moves us a tiny bit in the right direction. We could move Text.Printf
out of base and into its own library. This doesn't really belong in base.
The interface it provides it somewhat opinionated, and it's not even
type-safe. The new library could be named `printf` and could live under the
haskell github organization. Any thoughts for or against?

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 7:18 PM Daniel Cartwright <chessai1996 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Ah! That's a cool point about backpack. I would like to volunteer to help
> with this.
>
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 7:13 PM Edward Kmett <ekmett at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Development in this direction is an open process. The key would be
>> finding sufficient will amongst members of the community to make it happen.
>>
>> -Edward
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 7:09 PM Daniel Cartwright <chessai1996 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> interesting, makes sense. can anyone volunteer?

-Andrew Thaddeus Martin