Proposal: Move primitive-Data.Primitive.Addr API into base

Carter Schonwald carter.schonwald at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 22:18:51 UTC 2018

to zoom out: what code is improved? what code is made better/clearer? No
one has articulated this clearly.

The one example of Addr being used in Vector.Storable.Mutable is not an
argument in favor of using Addr. Its an argument against it existing.

i'm looking for evidence, in the form of code i can look at then say "yes,
this is better code" when comparing the two. Or a mathematical statement of
"what is made better"

@David Feuer <david.feuer at gmail.com> , @Daniel , do you have one?

when i'm writing complicated code, MORE polymorphism helps me usually.

I can write some code like the following and even though I'm using it with
Int at argument,
I *Know* that i'm not mixing up arguments/values that i write as different
types. I cannot do this with Address!
(the type / function below can be found at
https://github.com/wellposed/numerical/blob/3a0bbf50bc6ce0b710aee755f5a4bfce08af4201/src/Numerical/Array/Layout/Builder.hs#L294
)

{-# SPECIALIZE INLINE computeStarts :: [(Int,Int)]->Int->Int ->[(Int,Int)]
#-}
computeStarts:: (Enum a, Ord a, Num b )=>[(a,b)]-> a -> a -> [(a,b)]

parametricity (even when constrained by type classes) is a powerful and
foundational tool for good programming in haskell and similar languages

there has been nothing stated here that successfully articulates a good
reason to forgo/discourage parametricity as an engineering tool. for thats
what Addr is.
A datatype thats never safe in isolation, and discourages using
parametricity to write correct software.

a very strong case is needed to forgo parametricity.