Proposal: Move primitive-Data.Primitive.Addr API into base

Sven Panne svenpanne at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 20:08:03 UTC 2018

Am Fr., 26. Okt. 2018 um 20:00 Uhr schrieb Daniel Cartwright <
chessai1996 at gmail.com>:

> [...] Eventually any non-user-facing functions that use 'Ptr LyingType'
> should be switched from using 'Ptr' to 'Addr'. [...]

Again my question is: Why? When someone sees a "Ptr a" or "Ptr ()", it's
blindingly obvious that this is equivalent to Addr, i.e. you need some
additional information what that thing is pointing to or you don't care
about what's at that location. This is not "lying", quite the opposite.

You can turn the whole proposal 180 degrees around: Let's nuke "Addr" in
favor of "Ptr a"/"Ptr ()"! :-) That would even get rid of a whole type,
something the current proposal doesn't achieve. Addr is strictly less
powerful than Ptr, so why keep the former?