Discussion: New atomic IORef functions

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 16:51:00 UTC 2018

All the fundamental functions I've defined can be usefully used in the base
library. I think that's one good reason to put them there. Another is that
while the basic array operations have traditionally been exposed through
array, vector, and primitive, and the basic TVar operations have been
exposed through stm, the basic IORef and MVar operations have been exposed
through base (except, for some reason, casMutVar#). I see no reason to
change that.

I never proposed a function that forces the previous value unnecessarily,
so I don't know why you're complaining about that. The extra laziness I
don't like is in the pair result; none of the uses I've seen thus can far
make intentional use of that. That's why I tend to think atomicModifyIORef
(as it exists today) is almost never what people actually want.

Squeezing into a second component leads to extra allocation in what may be
a performance-critical function; that said, I'm willing to hold off on
higher tuples for now.