Deprecating fromIntegral

Niklas Hambüchen mail at nh2.me
Wed Sep 27 22:22:27 UTC 2017

On 26/09/17 21:46, David Feuer wrote:
> David Luposchainsky drafted the MonadFail proposal in December 2013,
>
> So it seems that there was a fairly clear consensus that having fail
> in Monad was a bad idea almost ten years ago

I'm aware of that and didn't suggest otherwise.

I was replying specifically to:

> 4. Then once it has been around in base [... for 3 releases ...] then
we could build consensus to perform a deprecation of the existing method.

This suggests that the order is:

1. put it in base
2. wait 3 releases
3. build consensus about deprecation

I pointed out (and you did now, too, more elaborately) that in the case
of MonadFail, the consensus about deprecation step (3) was done before
(1) and (2).