Deprecating fromIntegral

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 17:00:37 UTC 2017

 I would double down on the "no one has a great replacement yet".
There are several (potential, imaginary) replacements that may be
better in different contexts, depending on the precise programmer
intent. And then there's the question of how far we want to push
(relatives of) a function that doesn't really seem like entirely the
right idea. Completely aside from correctness issues, fromIntegral
also has efficiency trouble: it is completely dependent on
hand-written rewrite rules to avoid serious inefficiencies. A version
based on MultiParamTypeClasses would inspire much more confidence--but
it would require instances out the wazoo and surely lead to many
orphan instances. I suspect there are ways we can get better results
with fewer problems by designating several different intermediate
types and allowing Integral instances to place themselves in relation
to those. But that is ad hoc, and it requires one or more language
extensions, and I don't know if anyone's really played with it enough.
We shouldn't even be thinking about deprecation in the short term; we
should be working toward a medium-term replacement and a
very-long-term *potential* deprecation.