Deprecating fromIntegral

Niklas Hambüchen mail at nh2.me
Tue Sep 26 15:08:35 UTC 2017

Hey David,

> I'm -1 on deprecating it, and +1 on adding additional conversion
> functions of various sorts: explicit widening, explicit narrowing, etc.

What is your reasoning against deprecating it?

That `fromIntegral` is a function that should be used in new code?
That emitting a warning for potentially wrong code is bad by itself?
Or that people have to change their code to be warning free?

To me, a deprecation constitutes an organised, non-disruptive migration
from the old function to the new explicit functions, and I'd really like
to understand what people's reservations against it are.