Deprecating fromIntegral

Thomas Jakway tjakway at nyu.edu
Mon Sep 25 21:33:18 UTC 2017

I can see both sides of this and am dismayed.  On the one hand, -Wall
literally means with all warnings--so it makes sense to pack as many
warnings as possible into it.  If that's too many warnings for the end
user, they can disable individual ones when looking through the output.
If we wanted to be really thorough we could provide a suggestion at the
end of the output ("90% of your warnings are from ____").  On the other
hand,

grep -I -R --include="*.hs" "fromIntegral" | wc -l

on ghc prints 2598, which is a lot.

For what it's worth I'm in favor of adding it to -Wall because I would
rather be warned about too many things and have to force myself not to
ignore them than spend a long time figuring out the source of a bug.  At
the very least when I do encounter a bug it'll give me somewhere to start.

There's no great solution here, only tradeoffs.  I won't lose any faith
in Haskell whichever route we take.