FunctorFix

Wolfgang Jeltsch wolfgang-it at jeltsch.info
Sat Sep 9 00:27:37 UTC 2017

I see that a general right shrinking axiom would be a bad idea as it
would rule out many sensible instances of MonadFix. However, I think
that it is very reasonable to have the following restricted right
shrinking axiom:

    mfix (\ ~(x, _) -> liftM2 (,) (f x) g) = liftM2 (,) (mfix f) g

The important difference compared to general right shrinking is that the
shape (or effect) of g does not depend on the output of f x.

Does this restricted right shrinking follow from the current MonadFix
axioms? At the moment, it does not look to me that it would.

An interesting fact about this restricted right shrinking is that it
makes sense not only for all monads, but for all applicative functors.

All the best,
Wolfgang