FunctorFix

Jonathan S gereeter+haskell.libraries at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 05:33:57 UTC 2017

Oh. Hm. That would be an obvious complication. I think that there is
no fundamental reason it should be impossible, but I doubt there is
any way to do so in current Haskell. The problem is that unapply
returns a function that can be multiple times, but the MVar trick that
the existing fixIO code does only works once - it produces a single
delayed value. To allow multiple values to be passed in, you'd have to
either traverse the in-memory representation of the result and make
copies for all the inputs (ugly, slow, and not even clearly possible)
or somehow dig into the internals of IO and evaluate the function
without its side effects by caching the old state, which also seems
impossible.

To be clear, a linearly typed version of Unapply would work just fine:

class UnapplyLinear f where
    unapply :: (a -> f b) -> f (a -o b)

instance UnapplyLinear IO where
    unapply k = do
        m <- newEmptyMVar
        input <- unsafeInterleaveIO (readMVar m)
        result <- k input
        return (\x -> unsafePerformIO (putMVar m x) `pseq` result)

However, for practicality's sake, this basically means that today,
switching entirely to Unapply is not a viable option. Unapply could
still be a subclass of FunctorFix, however, and we could still have

instance (Unapply f, FunctorFix g) => FunctorFix (f :.: g) where
    ffix f = Comp1 (unapplyMap ffix (unComp1 . f))

I don't know whether it is worth it.