Alternative.some and NonEmpty

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 03:18:29 UTC 2017

I'm also in the "if we're going to do this, it should probably be a new
function" camp. e.g. `some1`. I'm kinda neutral on adding it at all at this
point, but if we do it, it should probably be done along these lines.

As for using a semigroup based implementation, its performance is, sadly,
rather awful for constructing `NonEmpty` lists, and more damning, you have
no law relating the 'pure' or whatever you're using to create values and
the Semigroup you're using to glue them together, so it only works for
NonEmpty on a purely ad-hoc type-by-type basis. That signature isn't one we
want as evidenced by the fact that if you pick m = Maybe you sure as heck
won't get anything like what you expect! This is the pointed problem all
over again. I'm very strongly -1 on that variant of the proposal.

-Edward