Proposal: modify `Read` instances for `Float` and `Double`

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Sat Mar 4 07:10:27 UTC 2017

This does bring up portability concerns and would cause further divergence
of Read from the language standard. If not handled carefully, this drags us
in an ever more implementation-defined rather than specification-defined
direction.

As a data point for this discussion, a similar proposal to extend the Read
syntax to add support BinaryLiterals was rejected over portability and
silent behavioral change concerns.

Whatever we do here, we may well want to be consistent with how we treat
both of these proposals.

If we do choose to accept this, we may well need to back and re-tackle
#10092.

Currently, we do have at least one chink in the armor, in that Read is
currently more liberal in what it will accept Unicode-wise than what the
language specification states as a result of

I do think that whatever we do here, it should involve a conscious decision
to either stick to the current report, or diverge from the current report
and then to revise this part of the report.

If we can get the Haskell Prime folks to fix the language report to include
them in the next language standard (if by default, even better!) then I'm
fully +1. I'm also fully on board with both these and binary literals going
into the language standard.

If we're doing this entirely on our own in the spirit of "being liberal in
what you accept and conservative in what you output" then I'm personally
far more dubious of the merits of that approach in practice, and will wait
to weigh in from a CLC perspective until more feedback is in place.

-Edward

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 5:41 PM, Carter Schonwald <carter.schonwald at gmail.com