Constraint implication

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 22:19:03 UTC 2017

On Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 2:44 AM, Ryan Reich <ryan.reich at gmail.com> wrote:

> Your 1) is a very erudite way of saying "you forgot about my 'constraints'
> package" :)  Which I did.

Not exactly. The constraints package can construct

(:-) :: Constraint -> Constraint -> *

but

(|-) :: Constraint -> Constraint -> Constraint

would really need compiler support to work correctly. That said, it might
be able to be written as a GHC plugin, now that I think about it. (3) could
also most likely be handled that way.

> Although it's just a little more awkward syntactically to write `(a :- b)
> -> whatever` instead of `(a |- b) => whatever`, which is only possible with
> a GHC extension, it obviously solves the problem of using constraints of
> the form `c1 implies c2`, i.e. 0-ary constraint functions.  If I understand
> you correctly, you are saying that an internal entailment operator is
> consistent with the other workings of constraints, and pointing out the
> concepts that need to be handled in implementing this in GHC?

Yep.

> Re 2): I am probably missing something when I think that `type (c1 :: * ->
> Constraint) ::- (c2 :: * -> Constraint) = forall a. (c1 a :- c2 a)` works
> for 1-ary entailment; for instance `Sub Dict :: Ord ::- Eq` appears not to
> bother ghci.

data Jet f a = a :- Jet f (f a)

is an example of a data type for which show, (==), compare, etc. are a pain
in the neck to write.

For that you really want something like

instance (Ord a, forall x. Ord x |- Ord (f x)) => Ord (Jet f a)

In the constraints vocabulary today this particular usecase can sort of be
faked by using Lifting:

instance (Lifting Ord f, Ord a) => Ord (Jet f a)

but GHC doesn't know enough to automatically bring the right stuff into
scope to make it automatically work, you have to write a crapload of manual
Lifting instances you might not expect, and you have to open the dictionary
from Lifting by hand, and its generally a mess to use.

3) It would be neat, for sure, to have this sum type.  Is that the full
> extent of boolean logic you can define on Constraint without losing
> thinness?

Technically it is a Heyting algebra. You can go a bit crazier with the type
theory for the category of constraints and show that its locally cartesian
closed, which seems to admit some funny interpretations of MLTT in it as
well.

-Edward