Let's rework Data.Type.Equality.==

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 04:44:33 UTC 2017

To be more specific about the ad hoc equality option, I'm thinking about
something like this (if it doesn't compile, I'm sure something similar
will):

type family (a :: k) == (b :: k) :: Bool
infix 4 ==

type family Equal (k :: Type) (a :: k) (b :: k) where
  Equal k ((f :: j -> k) (a :: j)) ((g :: j -> k) (b :: j)) =
        Equal (j -> k) f g && (a == b)
  Equal k a a = 'True
  Equal k a b = 'False

type instance (a :: Type) == b = Equal Type a b
type instance (a :: Maybe k) == b = Equal Type a b

So for example, we'd get

'Just (x :: k) == 'Just y
=
Equal (k -> Maybe k) 'Just && x == y