Constraints on definition of `length` should be strengthened

Nathan Bouscal nbouscal at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 22:48:53 UTC 2017

It *is* actually a useful instance and it is used in practice. It's not
that better Haskell wouldn't have an biased pair type with these instances,
it's that it would *also* have an unbiased one with the instances that such
a type could support. The issue seems to be that people don't like the
biased type having special syntax that wrongly gives an unknowing reader
the impression that the type is unbiased. This is a reasonable position,
but getting rid of the tuple instances isn't a reasonable way to act on
that position: 1) they're going to be defined anyway, but also 2) it's not
helpful to just pretend the type is unbiased when it isn't. It would be
coherent to argue for the removal of the special tuple syntax (though
coherent doesn't mean reasonable; this would break everything), but it's
not coherent to argue for crippling tuples so we can pretend they're
something they aren't.