Functor, Applicative, Monad, Foldable, Traversable instances for (, , ) a b

Jon Fairbairn jon.fairbairn at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Apr 6 07:28:54 UTC 2017

Tony Morris <tonymorris at gmail.com> writes:

> I did read it. I chose not to respond. I do not believe it to be a
> constructive avenue.
>
> I am repeating myself far less than the misunderstanding and
> inconsistency around "tuples." To this end, I believe is worthwhile to
> continue pointing out the inconsistency, and only slightly less so than
> those who hold a contrary inconsistent position, who are inadvertently
> pointing out the inconsistency. 0 is not an integer is a statement of
> equal validity, buit more obviously not so.

You keep using “integer”, but didn’t answer my question. What
makes you think that integer is the appropriate set? What do the
negative numbers represent in this context? If the answer is
“nothing”, you are actually talking about natural numbers, and
both the sets ℕ and ℕ⁺ are perfectly respectable.

> The length of ((,) a) is exactly one. Anything else is
> ridiculous.

So that I can understand this, please give an example of a
programme where this usage is meaningful.

  — Jón