Constraints on definition of `length` should be strengthened

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Mon Apr 3 21:01:28 UTC 2017

On Mon, 3 Apr 2017, Sven Panne wrote:

> [ Hit the wrong button... :-P ]

>       [...] Again, this mathematically correct, but more often than not the main intent of using a tuple-
>       [...]
>

> Again, this is mathematically correct, but more often than not, the main
> intent of using a tuple is not a curried function but a heterogeneous
> container with no special bias at all.

I think the special syntax (a,b,c) emphasises the unbiased nature and I
think that tuples are often chosen because of that syntax (and not because
of the prefix form (,,)).

However, I guess we are in the wrong thread. I just wanted to comment on
David Feuer whose explanation could be (mis)understood as if there is a
controversy about whether custom data types like Foo a b should be
considered biased or not.