deepseq: instance NFData (a -> b)

Michael Walker mike at barrucadu.co.uk
Sun May 1 14:58:43 UTC 2016

It depends on what you mean when you say a function is in normal form.
Unfortunately the instance doesn't capture either of the definitions
that immediately come to my mind:

- All values it returns are in normal form? This requires an NFData b
  constraint.
- The body of the function is in normal form? This requires HNF, which
  we don't have in Haskell. I guess the current instance is going for
  this, but approximates HNF with WHNF.

I'm +1 to removing this, simply because there are at least three
(including yours) reasonable definitions. If someone wants an NFData
instance for a value which includes functions, they should know exactly
how they want to handle that.