MonadZip for Data.Tree

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 06:54:29 UTC 2016

By opposite facing information preservation law, I mean there is a law
right now called Information Preservation in the haddocks for the class.

It only supplies half the story about how uncurry mzip and munzip are
"almost inverses", but the law given in the haddocks is actually pretty
weird.

The nice law I mentioned 'uncurry mzip . munzip = id' says uncurry mzip
'retracts' munzip in category theoretic terms.

The existing law is kind of abomination that tries to imply that if you
have the same shape on both sides they should zip together in a way that
unzips without destroying or creating any weird new shapes, but without the
retraction law I don't think you can prove that you've ruled out all the
wonky instances.

As for what I have against munzip as a member, it is a boring, unnecessary
member with no interesting definitions. It has to be equivalent to fmap fst
&&& fmap snd to pass the laws and free theorems involved.

The *only* interesting instance I've ever derived is one I came up with for
a memoizing variant of Lindsey Kuper's idempotent Par monad that admits
pure LVar reads, and lacks region parameters. There you could exploit
idempotence to reuse the results and share *some* computation effort in
case you use <*> to glue the parts you munzipped back together, but I don't
exactly see people lining up to use it. ;) As a pure computation you need
to make a new promise/IVar, fill it with the computation that will produce
the (a,b) pair. Then return two computations that each demand the result of
the promise when run and fmap fst or fmap snd the result appropriately.

But building that one interesting monad requires embracing at least
unsafeInterleaveST levels of evil, and the instance requires upgrading that
to unsafePerformST levels of messiness.

-Edward