Can we deprecate the debugging functions in Data.Map?

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 20:26:07 UTC 2016

For reasons I can't fathom, Data.Map exports the functions showTree,
showTreeWith, and valid, all of which seem to be intended for
debugging the map implementation. No user should ever need these
abstraction-smashing functions unless they're monkeying around with
mergeWithKey. If these functions are deprecated, they'll still be
available from the "internal" module Data.Map.Base. Data.Map.Base will
be exposed through Cabal at the request of Edward Kmett, although it
will remain hidden from Haddock and completely unsupported.

David