Breaking Changes and Long Term Support Haskell

Vincent Hanquez tab at snarc.org
Thu Oct 22 10:57:11 UTC 2015

On 22/10/2015 01:42, Gregory Collins wrote:

> All I'm saying is that if we want to appeal to or cater to working
> software engineers, we have to be a lot less cavalier about causing
> more work for them, and we need to prize stability of the core
> infrastructure more highly. That'd be a broader cultural change, and
> that goes beyond process: it's policy.
Not that I disagree that we need general stability but,

I think it's quite unfair to say that working software engineers are
being pushed away because of the current "instability", and actually I
don't see any proof of such a thing.

Working software engineers have developed methods to deal with change
(or not to deal with it) for decades.
To name a few with Haskell: private hackage, stackage, cabal pinning.
It's also commonly available through stack nowadays.

Also, having worked on multiples different Haskell teams doing
commercial/professional software, compiler/libraries upgrades were never
a concern of the team.
It was always something that can be dealt quickly, painlessly and with a
lot more certitude w.r.t the quality assurance, compared to e.g. dynamic
languages where you don't have any types safety etc..

I can't help but think that you meant "opensource library maintainers"
instead of "working software engineers", which is somewhat a very
different beast.

--
Vincent