3 release policy and -Wno-compat

Jeremy voldermort at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 30 12:03:34 UTC 2015

More to the point, the policy does allow for telling library authors that
they must rewrite their code into something that "may not necessarily be
idiomatic". Adding a caveat to .cabal is trivial compared to replacing code
with something ugly/clunky/non-idiomatic.

An additional issue is that if code is going to break, I would like to
change it in one go and be done with it. The current policy of drip-feeding
bits and pieces of change requires me to manage the transition piecemeal
over a number of years. The very example on the wiki page shows how the same
code has to be rewritten twice, over the course of a 5 year transition.

The spirit of the 3 release policy is a good compromise. However, the
requirement for Wall-and-only-Wall clean compilation feels fanatical. It
seems to be creating a straw-man persona, someone who doesn't care how often
they have to change their code or what they have to change it into, as long
as it compiles Wall-clean with no version-specific flags, and demands that
they get exactly what they want without any compromise.