MRP Summary & revised MRP 2ed (was: Monad of no `return` Proposal (MRP): Moving `return` out of `Monad`)

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 19:05:51 UTC 2015

(>>) becomes slower by default in some cases and drastically faster in
others, but since the definition is a member in a class it can actually be
fixed by people.

In situations where (<*>) is asymptotically more efficient than (>>=) then
the default definition in terms of (<*>) wins.

Right now, if you run through hackage there are lots of places where (>>)
has been manually improved but the (*>) has not -- or vice versa. We have
two places where people should apply an optimization and many have only
realized that they should optimize one or the other.

The key here is to encourage folks to actually define (*>) when it matters.

-Edward